Bridges to Prosperity (B2P) is an international non-governmental organization that specializes in the design and construction of pedestrian trail bridges. We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead that charge.
The Director of Engineering is the organization’s lead for internal controls and risk management for all aspects of technical engineering and construction. The Director of Engineering is responsible for the organization’s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements. The Director is responsible for growing and developing a high performing engineering department to achieve these objectives and position the organization to achieve its organizational objectives related to engineering, quality and technical assistance. The ultimate objective of this position is public safety for those utilizing Bridges to Prosperity bridges.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and grow the engineering department to achieve the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Oversee the development of resources including but not limited to standard bridge drawings, drafting templates, calculation templates, quality control documents, technical assessment forms, inspection forms, and engineering portions of the Bridge Builder Manual
- Supervise Regional Engineering Manager
- Support the development of technical assistance tools and services
- Lead engineering related strategic objectives for existing program countries and program expansion
- Mentor and support the professional development of the engineering team members to ensure a self-sufficient, motivated, and efficient team
- Develop engineering training materials for upskilling of the B2P engineering teams
- Oversee project feasibility, bridge designs and drawings for advanced projects
- Manage research and development of technical innovations for improvements to bridge design or construction
- Oversee Quality Management System
- Provide technical support to needs assessment teams, as required
- Oversee inspections, maintenance and repairs of international bridge inventory
- Support, as necessary, capacity building efforts for Government Partners to grow their capacity to design and procure trail-bridge infrastructure
- Promote B2P and the Engineering department externally including but not limited to: publications, external engagements
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering; Master’s degree preferred
- Professional Engineer (PE/SE) or equivalent
- Minimum 8 years of related engineering and management experience
- Demonstrated experience managing and growing engineering staff and departments to achieve strategic objectives
- Experience mentoring, training, and developing team members to achieve their potential
- Sound technical knowledge in the field of structural engineering
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD drafting
- Exceptional, professional, and details-oriented organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with high problem-solving skills
- Capable of working with different cultures and languages
- Ability to work independently upon receiving direction
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
The position supports engineering operations in all B2P program countries, and as such, the candidate will be expected to ensure sufficient overlap with teams to create a successful team environment. If the candidate is not based in one of B2P’s country programs, regular travel will be required for site visits, training, or other job-related tasks. This role may require the candidate to visit remote bridge sites that would involve walking in hilly terrain.
Sound like you? Tell us a bit more about yourself below by October 20th, 2022.
We have seen firsthand the benefits of a diverse team, and the strength that comes with diversity in experience, background, and perspective. We strongly encourage applications from individuals that would bring a unique or underrepresented perspective to our organization.